Saturday, November 24, 2007

Bring in the Christmas shopping season at 4 a.m.

Thursday I went and bought a newspaper and looked at all the ads for "Black Friday." I was trying to decide what time to go and where. I couldn't make up my mind. I tried to go to sleep and after 45 minutes of tossing and turning, I decided to stay up and go shopping at 4 in the morning, when some of the stores open. So I bummed around the house and the Internet until 3:00 then hopped into the car. I first drove over to Mervyn's where they were giving out $10 gift cards to the first 250 people. There was 2 people in line, so I read in the car until 3:30. Then a few more people started to line up so I got out of the car and stood in line (in the cold, it was about 36 degrees) with the rest of the crazy shoppers. I was about the 15th person in line. I was amazed by the time 4:00 how many people were in line. I got my gift card. (The things I will do for free stuff/money). And went shopping and grabbed a couple things then got in line to check out. Not bad, took about 10 minutes. Then I walked across the parking lot to JcPenney for my free Mickey Mouse snow globe. Then I got back in the car and made my way over to Kohl's.
(Side note: I went on Wednesday and looked at everything I wanted at Kohl's. I found a few clothing items on the clearance racks for the boys. I hung them up on a bottom clearance rack hoping they would be there when I came back.)
So I went to Kohl's and channel 5 was there. (I'm not in it, but saw the lady there) here is the cheesy video link: http://cbs5.com/video/?id=28786@kpix.dayport.com
I picked up my items including the clothes in the clearance rack that were in the exact same place that I left them!! I got in line and had to wait about 30 to 45 minutes. By the time I paid the end of the line was backed up to where you pay. Crazy!! Then I went to Walmart. I got there at 5:45. I went to get one specific thing for Miles. They had only been open 45 minutes and it was already sold out! So I made my way to another Walmart hoping they would have it -- and they were sold out too! I did pick up a few other items and made my way home. I was home by 7:30 a.m. I was tired and ready for a nap. I went to bed at 8:30 a.m. and was up by 10:30 a.m. I was up the rest of the day. That's the first time I had pulled an all-nighter since college (I think?) It was a successful morning for the most part. And I had fun listening to the Christmas music on the radio. My sister-in-law, Suzi, went to the mall about 7:30 a.m. and said the lines were long and the traffic and parking was bad - so I am glad that I went early.
Today we put up our tree. The boys were so excited to do it. I pulled out the tree and unwrapped the ornaments. They decorated most of the tree by themselves. They did a pretty good job. There aren't that many ornaments on the same branch; as in years past. This year has gone by so fast. I can't believe that it is Christmas season already!!

2 comments:

Mel said...

Hey there! You've been tagged.

Kati said...

I went to Toys R Us at 4:30 am, it was so crazy! I got evrything on our list and some amazing deals. I don't know if I'll ever do it again though.