Friday, October 23, 2009

This week: Adventure in Coupons

Growing up my mom taught me about saving money while you shop.

This is what I learned from her:
1. Only buy an item if it is on sale. Especially clothes - and 20% to 30% off is NOT a sale. If it is 50% or 60% off retail than that is a SALE.
2. Purchase items that are on clearance. When I go clothes shopping at Kohl's or Target I always look through the clearance racks first.
3. Use coupons. I have always used coupons when I had them. Especially for diapers. But after this week I didn't know how much I could really be saving.
4. When purchasing toiletry items look at see if the packaging has "more free" in it. Example: The other day at Target the Suave body wash was on sale for $1.50. Some were 12 oz. but some had 50% more free in the package making it a total of 18oz. of body wash for the same $1.50. If you are going to buy the product get more for the same price.
5. Buying the store brand instead of the national brand is just as good. And it is cheaper.

This week I decided to go full force using coupons and see what would happen. There are SO MANY websites/blogs out there of people trying to save money and using coupons and they are sharing their information. And there are websites where you can print coupons. I am truly amazed.

Here are some of my favorite websites:
http://thekrazycouponlady.com/
http://couponingtodisney.blogspot.com/
http://www.savingwithshellie.com/
http://www.morethancents.info/
http://hip2save.blogspot.com/
and April Preston (our inspiration!)

So this week I did some research. And printed out a bunch of coupons. I shopped at Walgreens, RiteAid, Target and CVS. I spent $73.55 at the stores. I saved a total of $119.91. Plus I am getting a coupon for a package of free Huggies diapers in the mail.

So what did I buy using my coupons?
Olives (2 cans)
Deodorant (x2)
Tissues (3 boxes)
Bandaids
Huggies diapers. (5 packages)
Toilet Paper
Purex 3-in-1 (2 packages)
Baby Wipes (4 boxes)
Conditioner
Glade Candles and Refills
Chex mix (x2)
Cinnamon Toast Crunch (x2 - Caden's favorite cereal)
4 large bags of Halloween candy

A few things that I learned.
1. You can "stack" coupons. You can use a manufacturer's coupon plus a "store" coupon for one product. Walgreens, Target, CVS and RiteAid all have store only coupons.
2. If you are buying an item that is Buy one, Get one FREE (BOGO) You can use 2 coupons. One for each item.
3. Stores like RiteAid and CVS have coupons for $5 off a purchase of $25 or more. The $25 total is BEFORE you use any coupons.
4. RiteAid has monthly rebates. Look through the rebates along with your coupons and sale items and you could be getting items for free or even making money back after the rebates. RiteAid also has a new program online. It is called Video Values If you watch videos on their website they will give you a store coupon for that product that you can print out.
5. Target will price match. Bring in the local competitors ad and they will match the price.

My friends this week have been my computer, printer and scissors. I had to run to Fry's to buy another ink cartridge for the printer. (Sadly, I didn't have a coupon for Fry's.)

Tim thinks this is crazy and is calling it "working the system." All I know is that I am hooked on coupons. Or should I say "clipped"?

**********************************************************************
What else did I do this week?
Tuesday we made homemade Apple Pies for YW. I will post the recipe on Recipe Queens
Wednesday I volunteered at our schools book fair.
I didn't do much laundry, so I am catching up today.

2 comments:

Hayley said...

You can get printer ink on discount too! It will be shipped to you so stock up so you don't run out but it is half of the cost than buying at the store. The link is www.carrotink.com . I'm glad that you are having fun. I am too!

Char said...

Ryan has two brothers who are coupon crazy! I've noticed most of the stuff they buy is processed and things I wouldnt normally buy. I've wondered if it really is worth the time of all this or not. You'll have to let me know what you think.